lsprof

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Feb 4 18:28:57 GMT 2006

Robey Pointer wrote:

> On 24 Jan 2006, at 9:38, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>
>> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>>> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>>>

>> I don't really understand the lsprof output yet. It looks like it does
>> some nice nested trees and such. But it doesn't look like it is sorted
>> in any reasonable way. Are there any nice viewers for lsprof output?
>
> I think it can include cycles (maybe due to recursive calls?).  I find
> the raw output nearly useless.
>
> If you use my lsprof patch, you can dump the pickled data into a file,
> and then use a processing script to massage it into a useful format.  I
> run a simple little script that generates HTML files (which I
> occasionally reference on this list) -- attached, in case you want to
> play with it.  Someone else posted a script to massage the data into a
> format for kcachegrind, if you use KDE.
>
> Since there was zero interest in the lsprof patch, I'll probably fork it
> off into its own branch parallel to bzr.dev.  I'll post a link once I've
> done that and have network access again.
>
> robey

I don't think there is 0 interest. Considering we already merged lsprof,
I would think there is interest in properly working lsprof :).
In fact, I have no installed lsprof, but I found that I couldn't really
understand the output. Maybe with kcachegrind I'll find it super useful,
and I'll make sure to push to get your changes merged.