Help issues

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Feb 4 18:01:09 GMT 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> James Blackwell wrote:

> Here's my thought: we need help sections.  Any given command can go in
> multiple sections.  Each command should declare which sections it
> belongs to.  (e.g. 'init' might go in the 'startup' and
> 'branch-manipulation' sections.)  Bzrtools commands will declare that
> they go in the bzrtools section, but they will also declare other
> sections as appropriate.  Single-command plugins won't declare sections,
> because, e.g., it's pretty clear that the gannotate plugin adds the
> gannotate command.
>
> All commands will be listed in the general section by default, but
> commands added by a plugin will be marked specially.  We can have
> various filters.

I think we could have a 'bzr help all' section, which lists everything.
(Though we might hide hidden unless you say
--really-give-me-everything-i-mean-it :).

And I think we could have the 'basic' section, which is what is
displayed by 'bzr help'. (Or we could just leave it manually maintained
as it is now).

>>> I was hellaconfused when I installed bzrtools plugin and couldn't figure
>>> out the new commands.
>
> Actually, that bugs me too.  You would think I'd know which commands
> were in my own package... :-)
>
> Aaron

+1 on the idea of help sections. As long as they are arranged tastefully.