ANN: clean-ignored plugin

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Feb 1 16:12:22 GMT 2006

Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> På Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 08:49:27AM -0600, John Arbash Meinel skrev:
>> I think 'bzr rm' should delete the file, and 'bzr remove' should only
>> remove it from source control. I don't really like to always type "bzr
>> rm foo; rm foo".
>
> Argh, this is horrible! Having 'rm' and 'remove' doing different things is
> really hard to understand. 'rm' is just an abbreviation for 'remove'! If you
> want to delete the file, just type 'rm foo' and bzr notices that it has
> gone.

Except this is bad practice, which I want to get rid of. Because doing
"mv foo foo2" bzr also "notices that foo is gone". I want commit to fail
if there are unrecorded deletes, because otherwise a move would get
recorded as a delete (plus a future add). Far better for it to fail early.

>> If you don't like the names, I supposed it could be "bzr delete" to both
>> delete the file, and remove it from bzr control. I don't really care, I
>> just want that command.
>
>> And if we have that command, it would make sense to tack on "bzr delete
>> --all-ignored".
>
> bzr rm --all-ignored
> bzr rm --all-unknown
>
>   mvrgr, Wouter

What about 'bzr delete' instead. Is that sufficiently different for you?