[RFC] Improvements to is_ignored.

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Wed Feb 1 08:58:06 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 04:21:17PM +0100, Jan Hudec wrote:
>   * New glob->regex convertor that more closely follows shell semantics.
>     It has * and ? not matching .-files, **/ matching any number of path
>     components (zsh-style - whole components only!) and ***/ that also
>     matches .-dirs, named character groups ([[:alnum:]], [[:digit:]],
>     [[:space::]] are unicode-aware) and RE:regexp.

I tried ls "**" and "ls ***" on my system here and couldn't tell any
difference from "ls *". I also don't seem to know how to work "RE:". I use
bash, which isn't an uncommon shell.

I don't think thats necessarily a bad idea -- in fact, somebody already
mentioned the tutorial, though I would like for us to consider the unlikely
possibility that somebody would gloss over documentation.

However, later in your post you mention possibly having to do this
expansion within Bazaar-NG itself for windows. If that's the case for
cmd.exe, then isn't it the case as well for bash?

If your meaning is include support for patterns that come from ZSH and are
rarely supported elsewhere, then that's more of a problem. I think its
so-so to allow something that most platforms support (e.g. symlinks)  and not
a good idea ("/" as a filename character) when most platforms don't.

I'm particularly interested in this hypothetical question: If Martin used
zsh (he may), adds a "RE:..." pattern to the bzr tree, will I be still be
able to work safely without changing shells?

Regards,
James

--
My home page:   <a href="http://jblack.linuxguru.net">James Blackwell</a>
Gnupg 06357400  F-print AAE4 8C76 58DA 5902 761D  247A 8A55 DA73 0635 7400