[BUG] bzr.1 man page out of date

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jan 31 15:51:12 GMT 2006

James Blackwell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 09:31:47PM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>> James Blackwell wrote:

>>> I submitted it a few times and gave up. I don't know if it ever got merged
>>> or not.
>>>
>>> http://merconline.com/~jblack/branches/bzr-help

>> Well, it still has the invalid ~/.bzr.conf at the bottom :)
>
> Fixed.
>
>> It definitely generates a more complete man page. And I think I like it.
>> I don't remember what the specific complaints were in the past. But I've
>> read through it, and this is my list of small issues.
>
> The previous missing-list was a burn-test.

Which I believe I saw that you added. (just a simple test to make sure
the command existed)

For some reason, when I merge you, generate_docs() has an invalid syntax
 (it is spaced in by 8 spaces instead of 4). Which causes the 'python
setup.py build' test to fail).

>> The tutorial.txt conflicts, which I don't really know how to fix. It
>> looks like it could all just be included.
>
> I reverted the changes here for now. I can pull it back out of the RCS
> some other time and submit it seperately.

I don't know what the specific changes are, so I'll leave that up to you.

>> I would probably rather the code was inside bzrlib rather than being in
>> tools.
>
> I can do that if you like. My thinking was that when somebody has some
> time we'll also have bash completion, tcsh completion, emacs completion,
> etc etc. That would get kind of crufty for something that often goes into
> site-packages.

I can see your point. Enough that I don't know which way is better, and
since your way is already done. I'll go with it. :)

>> There are some minor PEP8 issues
>
> I've fixed the ones that I could catch.

I found some more, but I'll clean them up in the merge.

>> I wonder if some of the hidden commands could show up in the man page,
>> perhaps in a separate location, or maybe an alternate man page.
>
> I'm not against it happening. I'm a little tight for time at the moment
> though.
>
>> You updated the NEWS to say "use bzr-infogen.py" but that file doesn't
>> exist.
>
> Fixed. I left it in the 0.7.0rc1 section for now. Whats the next version
> of bzr? 0.7.1 or 0.8.0 ?

I moved it into the dev version up at the top. I think 0.8 is most
likely, since we had the 'storage' changes land, and we're going to get
the 'branch-formats' changes soon, etc.

If there is an 0.7.1 I would expect it to have more minimal changes.

>> Otherwise, I would be happy to merge it. I'm sorry things get dropped.
>> There tends to be a lot going on. I'd really like to see a review list
>> worked out.
>
> Nah. We're all busy. =)
>
>> John
>> =:->
>
>   ^^^^
>   This is the best signature that I've ever seen.

Thanks, there actually is a small story to go with it if you like sometime.

So I reviewed your changes, +1 from me, merged into jam-integration,
though I took the time to clean them up a bit afterwards.

These are the things I fixed:

PEP8 in
 bzrlib/tests/test_doc_generate.py
 tools/doc_generate/__init__.py
 tools/doc_generate/autodoc_bash_completion.py
 tools/doc_generate/autodoc_man.py

Added copyright statement to:
 bzrlib/tests/test_doc_generate.py

Why did you add 'BRANCH-INFO' to the .bzrignore file, I don't see that
file ever showing up. (I removed the ignore for now, but we can put it
back if there is a reason)

The big pep8 that you seem to miss is that there should be a double
space between the import statements, and the first function/class.

So these changes are now in jam-integration 1520,1521.