Warping minds with the phrase "changeset"

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Tue Jan 31 05:20:50 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 11:19:44PM -0500, Kevin Smith wrote:
> My nit about the essay is that it overlooks a CVS flaw that bothers me
> even more than renaming: Permissions. Decentralized systems allow you to
> have full development capabilities whether or not the project owner
> chooses to grant you "write permissions" on their official server. This
> is the powerful *social* aspect of decentralization that I believe will
> have vast impacts well beyond what most people currently foresee.

I hear you. Nobody wants to throw out the concept of all of the really
neat things that DRCS allows. I write about these things frequently. You
can read my older blog entries for a taste.

We've lost a number of minds over the year because that one step is too
big for them. The concept is so different than what they currently cope
with, that they give up in confusion and go away.

The intent of this entry is to provide a middle step. Read this, and you
gain a bit of understanding that lets you work in the DRCS world
effectively without giving up the mental concept. Then, you either take
the next step by reading the other stuff, or you intuitively get there
eventually anyways. =)

--
My home page:   <a href="http://jblack.linuxguru.net">James Blackwell</a>
Gnupg 06357400  F-print AAE4 8C76 58DA 5902 761D  247A 8A55 DA73 0635 7400