Recording where branches that are absent are

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Jan 31 04:08:06 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 16:56 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > add a marker to working tree recording where the branch is rather
> > than have it always at '.'. (And this could be recorded in the branch
> > control dir now that I think of it - as a reference object [see my other
> > mail for details])
>
> I hope I read that wrong.  You don't mean .bzr/branch/branch-location,
> do you?  A major goal of separating out the directories was so that each
>  object's control files were independent of other objects' control files.

Yes, I do mean .bzr/branch/branch-location. This would mean that:
Branch.open(dir) would be able to return the real branch that is rooted
at the branch-location, or a proxy to it, rather than failing.

If the branch-location was in the checkout, then the only way you could
find there was a distant branch would be to create a working tree
instance and then look at its branch property. So it seems cleaner to
record the location of the branch in the branch area than in the
checkout area.

Rob