Encoding branch and globs (Was: Re: [ANN] ezbzr 0.2)

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Jan 27 21:42:05 GMT 2006

Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 14:34:27 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>> Jan Hudec wrote:
>>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 13:13:00 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>>> Well, there is this
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.bazaar-ng.general/7702
>>> post from Robert Collins. There is no real final word in the thread.
>>>
>> I remember that now. And I did want to comment on it.
>>
>> Specifically, we do need a marker to indicate that we are using an old
>> versus a new .bzrignore.
>>
>> The reason is that for old revisions, we included the built-in entries.
>> While in the future, we are going to write all the built-in ones into
>> .bzrignore, and then not use the builtin ones.
>>
>> I'm not very concerned about the tiny semantic difference between your
>> glob matcher and the current one. I am concerned that when we stop using
>> built-in globs, all old revisions will show up with tons of '.pyc' files
>> that aren't considered ignored.
>>
>> I don't know that it should block getting the new glob matcher into bzr,
>> but we definitely need to worry about it when we change how we handle
>> .bzrignore.
>
> Than doing both together might have some merit.
>
> Now the question is how the marker should look. I guess when people will use
> 'bzr ignore' mostly, we can add a little header.

Well, in order to switch usage, we will need a branch upgrade. I'm
guessing we could add "# bzr ignore v2" to the first line of .bzrignore.

A format upgrade is required for non-backwards compatible stuff like
this. (In the upgrade we should add the default ignores to the
.bzrignore file, mark it as the upgraded format, etc).
It would be nice to just have an upgraded branch, but an upgraded branch
includes old revisions. Which won't have an upgraded ignore file.

That is what Robert's branch-formats stuff is all about.

I'm actually thinking we probably have maybe 3 branch format upgrades
before 0.8 comes out, and then another couple before 1.0 comes out.
There are quite a few changes that need a format bump, and I don't think
all of them will be ready at the same time. (And the first format bump
is meant to be mostly a no-op, so that we can test our ability to handle
multiple formats at the same time).