BZR_HOME + HOMESHARE

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 25 19:46:00 GMT 2006

Jari Aalto wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:
>
>> Jari Aalto wrote:
>>> determines the correct location like this. No automatic use of
>>> HOMESHARE, but only IF user has a bazaar directory along it.
>>>
>>>     if (environemnt variable is set "BZR_HOME")
>>>        then use BZR_HOME
>>>     else if (there is directory "$HOMESHARE/.bazaar/bazaar.conf/")
>>>        then suppose user is using $HOMESHARE
>>>     else if (you can find directory "$HOMEDRIVE + $HOMEPATH/.bazaar/bazaar.conf")
>>>        then suppose user is using $HOMEDRIVE + $HOMEPATH
>>>     else
>>>        use APPDATA
>>>
>> [the new on is]
>> ~/.bazaar/bazaar.conf
>
> Ok. I've updated the if..then..else above.
>
> Btw, I find it confusing to use the name "bazaar" for configuration
> file. "bazaar". I understand the official name "Bazaar NG", like
> "Mercurical", but I there is logic that is already widely in use:
>
>    <program binary>       <progam config files>
>    cvs                    .cvsignore
>    svn                    .svnignore
>    hg                     .hgrc         (Mercurical)
>
> I don't remember, but was was there a reson why Bzaar did not follow
> the converion and use:
>
>    bzr                   ~/.bzr/bzr.conf

CVS also uses ~/.cvsrc

The #1 reason not to use ~/.bzr is for people who want to version
control their home directories. Would would have the path conflict. (And
you couldn't version control your bzr settings)

> I just would like to see Bzr to behave similarly to the other
> utilities, as much as possible to prevent learning curves for
> utilities that "do it differently".
>
>> I'm not sure what the correct path should be for $HOMESHARE.
>> Also, we need a place to *create* the directory if it doesn't exist.
>
> The result of directory that comes out from if..then..else case can be
> used. It defaults to APPDATA when none of the above matches.
>
>> I wouldn't be opposed to probing for config directories.
>
> This would solve installation of Bzr in large corporate/educational
> sites where HOME disks are remotedly mounted to windows shares. It
> would be very valuable.
>
> User's settings in BZR_HOME would still override.
>
>> But what happens if 2 exist?
>
> You mean this:

>      else if (there is directory "$HOMESHARE/.bazaar/bazaar.conf/")
>         then suppose user is using $HOMESHARE
>
> I may not have understood the question you asked, but that "probe" would
> then determine that User's configuration directory is there, so use it.
>
> Jari

It is possible to have both $HOMESHARE/.bazaar/bazaar.conf, as well as
$APPDATA/bazaar/2.0/bazaar.conf and $HOME/.bazaar/bazaar.conf

If we are going to support lots of locations, we should at least alert
the user if we find more than one. Rather than having behavior change
wildly without explanation.