File groups

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 25 15:29:39 GMT 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> The other idea from PyGTA was file groups.  The idea that for some
> projects, a group of files may be a semantic unit.  (foo.c, foo.h being
> an example)  The idea was that commits (and possibly other operations)
> must always be applied to both files, not one.  We didn't discuss what
> to do if the user tried to commit only one, but the two obvious options
> are:
> 1. commit both
> 2. error out
>
> Aaron

An interesting idea. But I wonder...
Wouldn't you really just want full dependency tracking. Because some
other file *uses* the functionality provided by that .h file. So they
should be updated as well.

Ultimately I think this would be very complicated to get a nice
interface to, but it might be worth keeping in the back of our heads.

Using scons on a new project and integrating it with the bzr TestSuite
stuff can be really cool. So it only runs the tests if the files
involved are modified, or if the tests themselves change. It's really
large grained right now, where each library has its own tests.

Along with my version-info plugin, I have scons rebuild the verison
files when the tree changes, which rebuilds the objects and the libraries.

Anyway, I digressed because scons has good dependency tracking.