[bug 0.7.0rc1] Makefile + xargs errors

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Jan 22 20:40:48 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 14:10 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> writes:
> > Oh, and I've seen more people confused by python projects *without*
> > makefiles, than by such projects with makefiles that do nothing for
> > 'all'.
>
> Right. How many people know what to do with Perl packages shipping
> with:
>
>        Makefile.PL

I have no idea. I'd guess at 'make -f Makefile.PL'. Is that right ?

> (raise your hands...). Similarly it was shock to see
>
>        setup.py
>
> instead of "Makefile". I've now gotten past it ... :-)

Yah, its not hard to learn... but as its fairly useless knowledge I'd
rather just have a shortcut than a ream of documentation for users *and*
the need to communicate changes in that to everyone - particularly when
non developers only need to build and install once in a blue moon.

Rob