[bug 0.7.0rc1] Makefile + xargs errors

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Jan 22 06:45:35 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 15:56 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2006, James Blackwell <jblack at merconline.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 01:49:00PM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
> > > I don't ever use 'make clean' myself. I would even consider removing the
> > > Makefile entirely. (you can use 'bzr clean-tree --ignored' to do a
> > > better job of cleaning up the tree anyway.)
> >
> > I think that may be a better idea. I've detected a presumption from people
> > that have never used Bzr before that make is necessary. As far as I know,
> > this is not the case.
>
> It's not necessary; it only provides shortcuts.  I think Robert likes
> it.  I use it only occasionally.  The command should be fixed at least.

I like it for several reasons:
 * its a predictable interface for folk familiar with most open source
source builds
 * unlike bzr specific tricks it works with tarballs of the source.
 * its handy for things like running the test suite twice with different
parameters (as it does), which in python at best requires execing bzr
again to make the new env settings truely take effect.
 * even if we change build tools (say to setuptools rather than
disttools, or to eggs) the makefile can provide a convenient
abstraction.
 * If we add non python code at some point (say perl bindings), the
build interface can stay the same - 'make' - rather than needing complex
python code to reproduce what make does.

I know it doesn't do installs or uninstalls at the moment, but if I ever
get around to doing such things, I'll add shortcuts for them.

Oh, and I've seen more people confused by python projects *without*
makefiles, than by such projects with makefiles that do nothing for
'all'.

Rob