pull should always --remember

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 18 00:02:17 GMT 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 18/01/2006, at 9:09 AM, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>
>> Originally, we made 'bzr pull' keep the previous parent unless
>> '--remember' is supplied.
>> Now that we are changing bzr pull so that it defaults to a form of
>> --overwrite, I would like to see the default switch back to
>> '--remember'. Either that, or --overwrite automatically supplies --
>> remember.
>>
>> Basically, the reason we got rid of it, was because you might pull a
>> branch just to get their changes. But since we are changing  convergence,
>> I think only merge will really be used in that situation.
>

> That makes sense to me.  So it will be essentially a "this is a  mirror
> of X" setting.

Right, 'bzr pull' becomes 'mirror that other branch'. With a default
safety that it won't mirror if the branches are diverged. (which can be
fixed with --overwrite).
And then record what branch you mirrored.

> Last I looked there was no obvious way to find out where it will pull
> from or whether a default location.  It'd be nice to show that in say
> "pull --show" and bzr info.

I was thinking about a 'bzr parent', or something like that. The same
location is used for bzr missing, bzr merge, and other such commands.
But yes, we do need something for clients to request knowing what the
default remote location is.