redirected and shared working trees

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jan 17 18:06:01 GMT 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John A Meinel wrote:
>>> So while a standalone branch *might* still have a working tree, you
>>> could still have a second working tree which references it.
>
> My definition of a standalone branch *requires* that it contain a
> working tree.  I'd rather use a different term for tree-less branches
> that contain both repository and brach, but not checkout.
>
> Aaron

I have no problem with that. I was thinking it might be a 'standalone
branch without working tree'. But I don't care about the terminology.

We are starting to have a few too many terms because of the
combinatorial problem. (w/ w/o working tree, shared repository, etc).
So it might be nice to break things down into their individual
components, and describe branches by what pieces they have. That is
certainly the way we are coding it, it just isn't how we describe it.