redirected and shared working trees

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jan 17 17:22:10 GMT 2006

Denys Duchier wrote:
> I don't know if this is a completely foolish idea, but since we are soon going
> to decouple branches and repositories, I got to thinking that it could sometimes
> be pretty convenient to be able to decouple a branch and its working tree.
>
> For example, I have a specially hacked version of Gentoo's etc-update that
> implies two files:
>
> 	/usr/lib/portage/bin/etc-update
>         /etc/etc-update.conf
>
> I was thinking that it would be really nice if I could maintain my branch for
> these 2 files in:
>
> 	/home/duchier/gentoo/etc-update
>
> but have the working directory associated with this branch be /.  Thus, my
> gentoo/etc-update branch would have an inventory with:
>
> 	usr
>         usr/lib
>         usr/lib/portage
>         usr/lib/portage/bin
>         usr/lib/portage/bin/etc-update
>         etc
>         etc/etc-update.conf
>
> Other branches could track other system files.  The idea of nested trees would
> not work here due to overlapping, but sharing the working tree would seem to do
> nicely.
>
> Is this too wacky?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Denys

When we were discussing it, I believed we specifically allowed for the
possibility that a standalone branch could have a checkout made.
If only because you might publish a standalone branch, which your group
would then share, and use checkouts.
So while a standalone branch *might* still have a working tree, you
could still have a second working tree which references it.