[RFC] more encodings tests [was: bzr handles unicode]

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jan 16 01:54:59 GMT 2006

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 01:14 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>
>>>Yes. That is what I mean.
>>
>>Well, I've done that. Now I'm using the same adapter pattern that Robert
>>setup for the transport tests.
>>It means that I'm finding some oddities in unicode (since I'm now
>>developing on a mac for a little while).
>

> sweet :). I forgot to mention in the list of reasons to do it the way I
> did that it decouples 'things to test' from 'write a test'. So theres no
> need to explicitly connect the new transport implementations to any of
> the tests.

Yes, that is a nice feature. Though you do need to write a Transport
Server. Which means that you really do need to do a semi-explicit connect.

>>The only thing that might get us into trouble, is if there is a way to
>>get a filesystem which will not encode the test filenames properly.
>

> Can we simulate one ?
>
> Rob

Well, Mac translates them to a different normalization. And we could
fake a Memory transport that disallows unicode filenames.

I was wondering if we would see a filesystem that was 'iso-8859-1' only,
or something like that.