sftp tests are slow

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jan 16 01:48:45 GMT 2006

Robert Collins wrote:

>>>10 times is hard to believe -- what did you use to test that?
>>
>>As I understand it, SFTP is fairly well layered above SSH: you can run
>>it equally well over a plain tcp socket.
>>
>>Why can't we run the SFTP tests over an in-process representation of a
>>plain socket?  Doing negotiation, encryption, etc is not going to prove
>>anything much useful about whether we're using SFTP in the right way.
>

> Yup, I agree with this.

Same here. I guess the person to ask is Robey... How hard is it to
change the underlying paramiko.Transport() connection to just being a
connection to a socket?

It seems like we could hook into the '_get_ssh_vendor()', and have one
vendor be 'tcp_socket', or something like that.
Then the test suite could override the default ssh vendor, and spawn the
TCPSocketSFTPServer.

>>I guess some areas, such as authentication, do need to be tested on real
>>ssh but the majority probably does not.
>

> In fact, this is more an ssh specific test than a general sftp test -
> though we dont have any transport authentication tests AFAIK and it
> would be good to have them.
>
> Rob

I think we should test that we can connect to an ssh server. But that
would be a single test, not all of them.