Unicode through filesystem tricks

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 21:49:36 GMT 2006

2006/1/15, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 01:03 -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>
> > $ ls r*
> > räksmörgås  räksmörgås
> >
> > (well, it looks correct on my terminal, that both files have the exact
> > same name, in the same directory)
>
> Interestingly to me, the first raksmogas has just-visible the diaeresis
> whereas the second one its very visible. Guess thats the difference
> between combining and non combining representations.

The same for me.

Do I understand this correctly, but the first one is just an a, an o
and an a, and then there is a combining representation that puts dots
on top of them.  And in the second, it's acctually a different
character (The characters å, ä and ö).

If so, I think the first representation is wrong.  These three
characters are really three characters and nothing else.

Regards,
Erik