Fwd: nuclear lauchcodes and nuclear waste

David Allouche david at allouche.net
Thu Jan 12 14:57:08 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 23:05 +0100, Denys Duchier wrote:
> I completely agree... but doesn't it feel very much like some sort of "patch
> queue management" functionality?  i.e. you revert to an earlier revision, but
> (in some sense) also load a patch queue with all the changesets associated with
> reverted revisions.  Then replay the patch queue, possibly modifying things a
> bit here and there.

It feels like it, and the cherry-picking logic I outlined before would
be meaningful in that case, but it does not fit the use case.

The use cases for nuclear launchpad codes and nuclear waste both involve
the ability to modify all existing repositories[1] to purge the nuclear
stuff away. In that case, it's not useful to be able to make
ancestry-aware merges between the branches before and after the purge.

        [1] that's not absolutely correct in the nuclear waste use case,
        but being really correct would obscure the point.

There is no point in cluttering the branch with metadata about revisions
that were intentionally wiped out of the face of the world.
--
                                                            -- ddaa