Some bzr newbie comments (somewhat long)

Jens Lund jlund at jlund.dk
Tue Jan 10 22:34:26 GMT 2006

Hi

I am quite new to bazaar-ng (and distributed version control), and have only
been making a few experiments during the last 2 weeks, so please bear with
me if the following comments seem obvious and you have already discussed
them at length :-)

First of all, I would like to congratulate you on the really, really easy
start and easy learning curve: given I had Python and cElementTree already
installed (Ubuntu 5.10), then installing bzr was a matter of 1) download
tar ball, 2) unpack tar ball, 3) make a symbolic link. It took at most 3
minutes. Another 5 minutes and I had versioned my first files and started
to making branches following the easy to read IntroductionToBzr/Tutorial!
That is really great work! Congratulations! (And in addition it seems like
a no brainer to publish your own branches even though I haven't done this
yet.)

Now, a couple of comments that will hopefully help improve bzr/bazaar-ng in
the future:

http://www.bazaar-ng.org/ links to
http://mccormickit.com/bzrweb/index.py/repositories for viewing bzr
branches on the web. I have not seen this link work during the last weeks
so it should probably link to http://bazaar.canonical.com/WebInterface
instead. A non working link on the front page gives the wrong impression.

Performance of "bzr branch http://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/bzr.dev" is very, very
poor. I am on a rather old 400 MHz Pentium machine, but doing "bzr branch
bzr.dev bzrtest" locally takes
real    2m13.153s
user    1m2.054s
sys     0m7.494s
while doing other stuff. Just downloading the 37MB for bzr.dev (by e.g.
"rsync -av bazaar-ng.org::bazaar-ng/bzr/bzr.dev bzrtest") takes
real    2m48.159s
user    0m2.048s
sys     0m9.523s
(there is still some problems with permissions on at least
bzr/bzr.dev/bzrlib/lsprof.py that generates an error.) However, doing "bzr
branch http://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/bzr.dev" takes *a lot longer* than 1
hour... I suspect you are somehow making new network connections all the
time or something similar, and you might already be aware of this as
indicated on http://bazaar.canonical.com/BzrTips. Of course this should be
fixed (and I am sure you will), but in the mean time I suggest making a
comment in the tutorial that it might take a long time as
http://bazaar-ng.org/bzr/bzr.dev is used as an example of a remote branch.

User interface for rename, move, mv: comming from unix experience it is not
clear what the difference is between rename, move and mv. Isn't it all the
same? I haven't looked at the code yet, but the help texts doesn't really
make the difference clear --- on the contrary the help text for mv
explicitly mentions renames and moves, the help text for rename gives an
example of a movement and points to move for what the rename example just
did, etc. etc. I suggest cleaning up this interface to one command (mv?)
that can handle all cases of renames and movement of 1 or more files, and
then remove the two redundant commands from the user interface. (Perhaps
"renames" should have a "service check" at the same time? I don't know.)

Wiki/website: there is a lot of usefull information there, but it feels
somewhat unorganized. I would e.g. at some stage suggest to integrate
BzrRevisionSpec into the tutorial (which is now in the tree, I know) such
that it by time will grow into a real manual. Also, some more detailed
information on the internals of how bzr works (revids, inventory, hashes,
etc.) will be nice: again a lot of information seem to be available in the
doc/ directory, but it is not clearly organized and it is not clear what is
ideas and what has been implemented.

The kind of detailed information that could be usefull in the
tutorial/manual could e.g. be how to get the individual changesets that
have been merged into a branch as mentioned in the "Disposable branches"
thread on the mailing list just before Christmas. I do unfortunately not
have enough knowledge of bzr yet to realize these things without detailed
information written out... (Hopefully I will get it at some stage!)

All in all I am quite impressed by your work, and will definitely follow it
in the future as well :-) Keep up the good work!

Best regards,
Jens