sftp tests are slow

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jan 11 20:49:03 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 14:23 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Robey Pointer wrote:
> > I changed the subject because a bunch of different threads had the  same
> > meaningless subject line. :)
> >

> > 10 times is hard to believe -- what did you use to test that?
>
> Tested the time to run:
>  sftp = bzrlib.transport.get_transport('sftp://localhost/')
>  sftp.get('a').read()
> both with _ssh_vendor = 'none' and _ssh_vendor = 'openssh'
>
> Versus "time ssh localhost cat a"
> $ time ssh localhost cat a
> real    0m0.142s

I also tested running up sshd as part of this - invoke-rc.d ssh stop;
invoke-rc.d ssh start; ssh localhost cat a

added a little but of time, but not much

Using the server stuff in test-providers,
bzrlib.transport.get_transport(SFTPAbsoluteServer().setUp()) is
interesting...

I suspect that the issues lie in the server startup, and to a smaller
degree in the handshaking each time.

Rob