bzr too slow

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jan 10 13:45:39 GMT 2006

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2006, James Blackwell <jblack at merconline.com> wrote:

>>>That is indeed pretty slow.  Could you please run 'bzr --profile status'
>>>in there and report what it says?
>>
>>I'm wondering if he has cElementTree. Can't that affect status?
>

> It shouldn't be that bad.  Robert suggests it may be the
> inventory-traversal inefficiency ddaa spoke of a while ago - David,
> could you post your patch please?

It could be a few things. At one point, the hash-cache wasn't properly
flushing to disk, so it was having to read all files over again.
I thought Aaron submitted a fix for this, and it had been pulled in.

I wrote a branch which cached stat calls, which did seem to help, though
not as much as one would like.

On really large trees, I found that the painful part was actually the
'is_ignored()' call. Because on my tree, the build was in-tree (so you
have a lot of ignored *.o files), and then I had to explicitly ignore a
lot of the executables. So I had something like 50 ignore rules, coupled
against about a thousand *.o files, caused a lot of iterations of the
is_ignored loop.

I am curious what --profile will report.