Fwd: nuclear lauchcodes and nuclear waste

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Jan 10 13:41:52 GMT 2006

James Blackwell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 03:32:45PM -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>
>>Jeff Hodges wrote:

>>The plugin is here:
>>http://bzr.arbash-meinel.com/plugins/clean-weave/
>>
>>And the command is 'bzr clean-branch' optionally
>>'bzr clean-branch --all'
>

> Should it generally be considered safe or can it have intended, but not
> generally predictable, side effects?

I should make one other small comment. I use AtomicFile to replace the
weave, so it will break hard-links. Which means that you can have 2
branches hard-linked together, and it won't corrupt the other branch's
weave file.

I personally consider the command safe. modulo bugs, it should never get
your tree into an invalid state. And I think conceptually it is simple
enough that there aren't a lot of bugs to be had.

I suppose one potential issue is if the weave invariants ever change.
Right now inserts from a child are always nested inside their ancestors,
and lines cannot be resurrected. Its pretty fundamental to how the weave
is used, so I'm not concerned that it will changed. But if it did, that
might require looking closer at clean_weave.