default ignores don't ignore '.swp'

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jan 9 20:13:25 GMT 2006

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>

>>> I'm a little against dumping all ignore patterns into
>>>.bzrignore, because there are quite a few, and it makes the file a
>>>little ugly.
>

> We're already doing that, though.

Where? I think the .bzrignore in bzr.dev has a few patterns which are
redundant, because they existed before the switch (to not putting
default ignores into .bzrignore)
Also, there is the issue of people who don't use 'bzr ignore' but
instead use echo myignore >> .bzrignore.

>>>Also, a bzr upgrade can do something like make .DS_Store ignored
>>>everywhere, rather than having to manually do it in every project that
>>>now has a non-default ignore set.
>

> Yes, there are other situations where it's handy to add new default
> ignores, too.  But if I have to chose between default-ignoring new types
> and being able to override defaults, I'll take the latter.  I'd be
> happier if I didn't have to make that choice.
>

>>>If you know of any real-world projects that use .pyc files as source,
>>>then we certainly can consider removing them from the default ignore
>>>list. But for the same reason we default to ignoring *.o, (and possibly
>>>*.obj) is that the chance of them being source is very low.
>

> I don't at the moment, but there are lots of cases in developing
> proprietary software where all you have is a .a or .so.  I assume it
> will happen to Python software, sooner or later.
>
> Aaron

Sure, but you can always add them if you need to. I have a project which
uses Makefile.in. It meant I had to do "find . -name Makefile.in | xargs
bzr add" at the beginning, since bzr wouldn't grab them automatically.
(And new ones you have to be careful with).
But I think just .pyc and .o/.a/.lib files are uncommon enough that it
is worth keeping them in the default ignore.

However, I wouldn't stop you from changing the code such that it put the
default ignores into .bzrignore.