default ignores don't ignore '.swp'

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Mon Jan 9 07:55:11 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 13:32:21 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 21:11 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >
> > Martin Pool wrote:
> > | I'm also going to
> > | fix https://launchpad.net/products/bzr/+bug/6413, which says that
> > | Makefile.in shouldn't be on the default list.
> >
> > I disagree with 6413.  If we have defaults at all, they should be the
> > settings that work best for everyone, and using automake without
> > autoconf seems to be a small minority.
>
> I agree, but this is about the opposite: using autoconf without
> automake, which is fairly common.  Makefile.in is often written by
> humans, so shouldn't be on the default ignore list, even though it's
> sometimes autogenerated.

Well, the bug claims it is 'painful' for projects that need files that
are ignored by default. Which I'd see as the actual problem. Perhaps
this kind of files should not be ignored in built-in defaults, but
rather in defaults generated to .bzrignore during init. That would be
easy for the user to override (even what about configurable template?)

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>