[RFC] more encodings tests [was: bzr handles unicode]

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Jan 8 15:10:26 GMT 2006

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel пишет:
>
>>> Sure. Here is list of not 'OK' tests in blackbox (for r1539):
>>

>> Wow, it looks like they all fail. Can you give me a single traceback, so
>> I can figure out where it is failing?
>

> Here zip archive with test.log when I run:
>
> python bzr --no-plugins selftest blackbox -v > test.log
>
> --
> Alexander

Well, it looks like the ones that fail are the ones which expect your
bzrlib.user_encoding to be able to handle european characters, which we
already know it won't (since you can't handle Erik's name.)

I'm trying to figure out what the best solution is.
I could try a few character sets (right now I have Swedish, Arabic,
Kanji, and Russian).
And do a couple different tests to evaluate what the current encoding is
able to handle, and then just use those characters in the rest of the test.

Does that seem like it is still a valid test? On platforms which support
more (like a utf-8 platform), it could try to use all of the different
character sets.