sftp locks can get stuck

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Wed Jan 4 07:38:04 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 18:33:13 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 13:03 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> >
> >>Well, we are also designing the system, such that a read lock is a
> >>no-op. Since you can't write anything anyway with http, this already
> >>happens. :)
> >>The only problem is local versus sftp at this moment.
> >

> > And FTP.
> >
> > Rob
>
> Except FTP doesn't do any locking. As far as I know it doesn't even
> support O_EXCL to lock the same way sftp does.

I would add, that O_EXCL does not necessarily work for local transport
either. NFSv2 does not support it. NFSv3 and v4 protocols do, but in
Linux kernel 2.4, it was not properly implemented on the client. It is
implemnented in 2.6 for NFSv3 and v4, but not v2, since that does not
support it.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>