New format checklist

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Jan 2 18:55:31 GMT 2006

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:
>

>>Anything else?
>

> Would "centralized storage + checkouts without history" fit in this
> checklist?
>
> I guess it doesn't necessarily mean changing the format, but you have
> to make sure that the notion of working tree and the notion of storage
> are cleanly separated. Well, that's almost your "4)".

To me, 4) is necessary to implement either centralized storage or
checkouts. But they may also be a different internal format.

Right now we detect the format of a branch by reading
'.bzr/branch-format'. Based on that string, we decide whether we have a
version 4,5, or 6 branch.

version 7 could include a location that also gets read so we know if we
are in a repository (centralized storage), or if we are just a checkout.
So you would need to read both .bzr/branch-format, and then
.bzr/checkout/format, and then .bzr/repository/format
Or something like that.

That is probably a good way to do it.

We certainly need to define what files need to be read to determine
information about the branch.