the inventory must be updated as merge proceeds, not at the end

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Thu Dec 29 22:30:05 GMT 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 12:14:41PM -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >>Tree transforms should happen at a level above the filesystem level,
> >>because what's on the disk may not match the WorkingTree.  Specifically,
> >>we want to support CVS-style keywords.
> >>http://bazaar.canonical.com/KeywordExpansion
> >

> > We do ???
>
> Martin and Robert do, at least.

The previous poster is the first person that I've heard say "No, I don't
want want this at all".

I've heard of plenty of people ask for this. I never digged deep enough
into it about whether or not a much simpler case -- only on export -- is
sufficient.

> Also, it may not always be appropriate for the build system to depend on
> the VCS.  For example, it may be useful to have expanded keywords in a
> tarball.

I think is generally benign for everyone.

> > But you will still have the problem that the current state of the tree
> > is X, but the file was only last modified in Y.
>
> It's conceivable that we could support both tree-revision(X) and
> file-revision(Y) as keywords.  Did you notice the spec calls for
> updating every keyword-expanded file every time the last-revision changes?

I wonder what sort of problems this could cause for things like
incremental backups and things like diffutils.