[RFC] bzr.jrydberg.versionedfile

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at alice.it
Wed Dec 21 18:43:09 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 15:44, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> >>Rolling back changes are also needed when we end up in situations that
> >>there is no clean way out of; out-of-disk being one.  We want to leave
> >>the history exactly as it was _before_ the modifying operation begun.
> >

> > This is more interesting - but just stopping cold would be fine, if we
> > have maintained our invariant of 'all data is always valid all the
> > time.'
>
> I agree on this point; there is no harm in leaving extra data in files,
> as long as it is correct, and doesn't reference missing data.

Sorry, but I disagree; I don't understand the gain of having revision that we
don't want or don't know to have: if we want this revision we fetch it; but if
we don't fetch then we don't need it.

The fact that for the weave, the things are so, in _my opinion_ is a bug, allowable
only because bazaar is a young project.

Moreover I see some disadvantages to have revision not referenced.
1) If we wont to know the changes related to a file, we can parse only the file; instead
if we allow unreferenced revision, we have to intersect the revision related to
the file, which the ones "official".
2) if the project is a big project with many contributors, which pull from others
contributors, we can have an explosion of the storage size.
3) if we want to remove a revision ( because contains reserved data, and we want to publish
the repo  ), we have to check carefully every merge, on order to avoid this revision

I agree that may be useful to have data not referenced, but only if we want, and not as
(dark) side effect of an operation.
For example: if we add an option like "--full" to the pull command in order to fetch all
revision, for me is ok; but if we don't use this switch bazaar don't have to download
the unreferenced revisions.
I don't like the idea that in the repository there is something that we don't want or things
which we don't know to be.

My 2 ¢

Goffredo

--
gpg key@ keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (ghigo) <kreijack AT inwind.it>
Key fingerprint = CE3C 7E01 6782 30A3 5B87  87C0 BB86 505C 6B2A CFF9