[RFC] bzr.jrydberg.versionedfile

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Dec 21 15:04:06 GMT 2005

Johan Rydberg wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:
>

>>$ zcat d.gz
>>foo
>>baz
>

> Cool.  Did not know that.
>

>>So the question is, how big is the expected blobs? How much compression
>>do you get with zlib? gzip compression is just zlib + header, so they
>>are certainly comparable :)
>

> The normal blobs of data seem to be between 150 bytes up to 500 bytes.
> (most of them seem to be < 250 bytes).  Just eyeballing through the
> index for the branch.py file.
>

> ~j

So we are talking about ~10% overhead to be able to read the knit in a
text editor. I'm willing to make that trade.

Also, I wanted to bring up the 'incomplete' marking in the index. It
makes it seem like there is something missing in the entry. I think
using "noeol" or something like that would be better. It is shorter,
which is good, but more importantly it doesn't sound scary. :)