Disposeable Branches

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Wed Dec 21 07:23:58 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:13:59AM -0500, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> Are branches disposable?  In other words, what harm is there in killing
> a branch after it has been merged into another branch?

I suspect that you're coming at this from the arch viewpoint in which if
you tagged B off of A and then deleted A, then B became useless.  Bzr
doesn't have this problem. You can safely destroy a branch once you've
branched off of it or merged it without causing any problems.

At this point I'd just say that a branch once deleted is gone forever.
However, John provides some really neat instructions on how you can at
least partially reconstitute a branch you have deleted.