sftp oddities

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 13:08:52 GMT 2005

2005/12/20, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca>:

> Jeff Rose wrote:
> | 1. Why does pushing and branching with sftp use an odd url that doesn't
> | correspond with what people already know about sftp?
>
> I think what you're talking about here is scp, which is a different
> protocol.  The scp commandline tool is modeled after rcp, and its
> arguments aren't URLs.  AIUI, rcp predates URLs by many years.

Acctually, sftp also uses scp/rcp syntax

     sftp [[user@]host[:file [file]]]
     sftp [[user@]host[:dir[/]]]

I do think he has a point and I would like to use bzr push
erik at bagfors.nu:public_html like I can in darcs and hg.  But it begs
the question, "is that sftp, rcp, scp, rsync, something else??".  The
reason that darcs and hg can do it, is that they don't support as many
transports as bzr does.

Regards,
Erik