default nickname

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Tue Dec 20 00:22:56 GMT 2005

* John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> [2005-12-19T18:24:26-0500]:
> I don't mind the default nick the way it is. My personal preference
> would be for it to grab more directories.
> I'd like to work in dev/bzr/jam-integration, but for nick sake, I work
> in dev/bzr/bzr-jam-integration

I'd just leave out my initials and call the dir dev/bzr/int.  ;)  Which
would make a poor nick for public consumption.

What are nicks for anyway?

> I wouldn't mind if we had a couple policies that you could set in your
> global config. So the default nick could either be 0 directories
> (empty), 1 directory (default), or 2+ directories (my setup).

How much complexity should this simple field support?  Defaulting to
using dir names for metadata sounds like a tla-ism.  Arguments can be
made you may want deep dir naming on some projects and not others.
Supporting all that seems like a mess.  Especially since I don't know
why nicks are needed. ;)

-dave