sftp urls

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Dec 15 02:22:56 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 08:46 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:

> > One important thing to note:
> > The RFC says that "sftp://host//path/here" is NOT equal to "/path/here"
> > on the host, it is instead equal to "~//path/here" on the host. To get
> > "/path/here" on the host one must use "sftp://host/%2fpath/here" - which
> > is not as friendly as one might like. This is due to the way that the
> > authors of the spec have wedged in the concept of 'home dir' in the back
> > door of std66.
>
> That is a shame. It was really the only way that I liked the
> sftp://host/relative vs sftp://host//absolute.
> So if the spec actually forbids it, than I recast my vote to switch to:
> sftp://host/~/relative and  sftp://host/absolute
>
> Do you have a specific link to the RFC, I suppose it might be on the wiki.

just expired 2 weeks ago:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-scp-sftp-ssh-uri-03.txt
"This formatting is meant to represent the path
   information as in Section 5 of [I-D.ietf-secsh-filexfer].  If a path
   starts with a %2F (a URL-encoded "/") then it is relative to the root
   of the file system."

So, I would like us to do the following:

 * revert to the
 sftp://host/absolute
 path behaviour. Turn off all 'homedir' behaviour temporarily.

 * email the URI working group with a request that homedir as a concept
 be explicitly added to URI's. Perhaps with a strawman like
 sftp://host~relativepath.

 * implement relative paths after the dust settles.

Rob