Small datapoint

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at alice.it
Wed Dec 14 19:05:21 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 18:23, Ivan Krstic wrote:
> Goffredo Baroncelli wrote:
> > I have found the same numbers. This is due to the fact that the
> > [s|a]ftp transport allow directory listing. Instead http:// doesn't
> > allow.
>
> I'm sitting here in the peanut gallery, so I might well have missed
> something, but why is this a problem?
>
> If having a directory listing is required for efficient branching, we
> generate one at commit and stuff it into a known filename, e.g.
> .bzr/directory-listing. When branching over a transport that doesn't
> support directory listing, we fetch this file, and we're happy, aren't we?

Yes and no...
Yes: you solution solves the problem of cloning a repository *if* you want
all the revision[*];but if you want get not the last revision, so you may download
some weaves that aren't necessary.

The more general requirement is:
which weaves are touched between the revisions A..B ? if you want pull
until the last revision B is -1 and A is the first revision which aren't
in the local repository ( more or less ); if you want to clone a repository
A is 1 and B is the last revision which you want ( -1 if you want the full
history )

As side note, if the transport doesn't perform the directory listing, the
clone function falls back in the fetch ( == bzr pull ) code, which is based on the
reading of the history.

Goffredo

--
gpg key@ keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (ghigo) <kreijack AT inwind.it>
Key fingerprint = CE3C 7E01 6782 30A3 5B87  87C0 BB86 505C 6B2A CFF9