[PLUGIN] Lesslog -> run bzr log through less automatically

James Blackwell jblack at merconline.com
Wed Dec 14 10:28:31 GMT 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 10:54:06AM +0100, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> > It sounds to me like you're solving the problem (reviewing all logs is
> > generally not the most common operation) by introducing a workaround by
> > using |less).
>
> > For today's bzr.dev that takes almost 1 minute to produce the 19,293 lines
> > of output in bzr log. Even if you hide the the output behind less the
> > system is still heavily hitting the cpu/disk drive for the 8-12 seconds
> > that its running -- which is a bit much for multi-user systems.
>
> 1 minute? What bzr are you using?
>
> 10 seconds here.

I referenced the time twice. I updated the second one but neglected to fix
the first.

> > I believe that people are generally much more interested in the number of
> > logs that fit on their screen with no wrap than they are in 833 screens of
> > data.
>
> Agreed, but I want to send it to less, to grep, to perl, to a file, to
> an ssh connection etc.

I'd like to stress that I'm not suggesting that the ability to retrieve
all logs should go away. It should just be moved to a "--full" option.

> The same as I do with any other command.

Try: cd /dev; <tab><tab>

> > So why not limit it to one screen? You wouldn't even need less most of the
> > time! And if you wanted something more than the last 24 merges, then
> > provide a option for the extra work. :)
>
> I'm all for that, and I think it's fine to provide functionality to do
> that.  "bzr last" or "bzr lastlog" or "bzr log -s" or something.  Just
> don't destroy the normal bzr log.

Destroy is a strong word. Did you really mean it?

> > My ideal log command would be:
> >
> > bzr log [--full] [--merges] [--all | -r...]
>
> I'd really hate that.  That means that I would have to do "bzr log
> --full --merges --all | grep searchterm".  Most likely I would have to
> start by doing "bzr log --help" to get to know how to write that line.

--full would imply --merges. I'm open to the idea of:

So you'd change from:

bzr log | less
bzr log --full

For the rare occasion that you're all the way up on revision 32,432 and
want to search revision 2 as well:

bzr log --full --all