baz-import test requires 'testresources'

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 15:07:35 GMT 2005

> Can email addresses have non-ASCII characters? I'm thinking someone like
> Erik Bagfors (sorry about not marking the a, I don't know how to do it).

In general they don't work with non-ASCII characters.That's the reason
my email is erik at bagfors.nu and not erik at bågfors.nu.  That said, more
and more non-ASCII domains are being sold.

For example, look at this page
http://www.nu/svenska/sveriges_kommuner.htm.  This is a list of
swedish counties that has åä and/or ö in their names and they have
http adresses like www.Alingsås.nu.  So in URLs they can exists,
exactly how they are encoded then I don't know. But theoretically this
should work (bzr branch http://www.bågfors.nu/) if I was ever to
register that domain.

That said, if you register a domain with ååö it seams like you ALWAYS
get the same domain with aao instead.  This is what most people use
because it's what works best.

I haven't ever seen an email adress with non-ASCII characters and I
think that's not legal.

All in all.  I wouldn't worry about domains or email adresses with
non-ASCII characters.  Just assume that they are all ASCII for now.
However, this should work

: [bagfors at zyrgelkwyt]$ ; bzr branch a räksmörgås
bzr: ERROR: exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode
character u'\xe4' in position 1: ordinal not in range(128)
  at /home/bagfors/usr/src/bzr.dev/bzrlib/osutils.py line 248
  in pumpfile

Regards,
Erik

ps. Interesting thing that I do NOT think you have to care about for
now, but maybe some day in the future.

: [bagfors at zyrgelkwyt]$ ; host www.alingsås.nu
www.alings\195\165s.nu has address 212.181.91.6
www.alings\195\165s.nu has address 69.25.75.72
www.alings\195\165s.nu has IPv6 address ::212.181.91.6
www.alings\195\165s.nu has IPv6 address ::69.25.75.72

host can resolve

: [bagfors at zyrgelkwyt]$ ; bzr branch http://www.alingsås.nu
bzr: ERROR: exceptions.UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode
character u'\xe5' in position 77: ordinal not in range(128)

bzr assumes ascii