[MERGE] Doc changes

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Dec 12 05:39:36 GMT 2005

On 11 Dec 2005, James Blackwell <jblack at merconline.com> wrote:
> Martin,
>
> I have a set of doc related code pages for you that is the combination of
> work from myself and ndim. The work is kept at
> http://mercury.linuxguru.net/~jblack/branches/bzr-help
>

>  * Exaustive manpage generation rework. The man page is incredibly useful
>    now. :)
>
>  * There's a plan on how to use the same setup to do things like bash and
>    zshell completion that will fit in well.
>
>  * Minor code docstring/tutorial updates

Sounds good.

> Changes:
>
>    In order to generate man.1, just run "python generate_docs.py".
>
> Outstanding:
>
>    There's no tests for this. I don't see a whole lot of point to it, but
>    I'd be happy to pull unittest into the mix for the tools dir if you
>    like.

I think it's always worth at least having some smoke tests.  (Meaning if
you plug in a bit of hardware and turn it on, does it catch fire?)
This is important for Python because there's no static compile/check phase.

So for these changes you might run generate_docs and make sure it does
actually produce a manpage.  For bonus points, you could invoke man on
the output and check it returns 0.

setup.py still refers to the old bzr_man.

At the moment the tutorial in the source tree is somewhat out of date
with the one on the wiki.  We should have just one -- any opinions on
which?

--
Martin