bzr assumes I want to remove the file if I delete it from the filesystem

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Dec 12 03:21:58 GMT 2005

On  9 Dec 2005, Wouter van Heyst <larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 04:26:54PM +0100, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> > Bjorn Tillenius wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I got surprised about how bzr worked, and I'm not sure it's a bug or
> > > not, I would say that it is, though.
> > >
> > > If foo is a versioned filed, and I do 'rm foo; bzr commit'. Should bzr
> > > really remove the file from the repository then? It seems quite odd to
> > > me, especially since I temporarily removed a file from the file
> > > system, and forgot to 'bzr revert' it before I committed... What's
> > > the best way of restoring the file with all its history retained?

I think (but I haven't checked) that you can do 'bzr revert -r 2323
FILE' to restore it without losing history.  It will be shown as deleted
and then re-added.  Or at least it should work like that.

> > IIRC it doesn't matter if you commit or not, if you rm a file you can't
> > get it back easily. We had a talk about it in #bzr a while back. I
> > think we came to the conclusion that it was a bug, but I don't know if
> > it has been fixed since 0.6.
> >
> > It would be nice to see another release soon (and more often in
> > general).
>
> +1
>
> I agree, a new release would be very welcome now. Robert said that the
> 0.7 theme was getting acceptable performance without rsync, and we're
> not there yet. Recent developments (Johan's knit work, duchier
> and others profiling/optimisations) look promising, but I don't have a
> good idea when 0.7 would be ready. If it looks like next year, I'd prefer
> doing an intermediate 0.6.3 release when bzr.dev is reasonably stable.

Yes, a lot of improvements have accumulated since the last release.  I
will work towards doing a release candidate in the middle of this week.

--
Martin