merge/review process

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Dec 8 13:07:41 GMT 2005

I'd like to suggest a system for reviewing code for integration.

If you'd like to propose a change, please post a patch, bzr changeset,
or link to a branch.  Please put either '[patch]' or '[merge]' in the
subject so we can pick them out, and include some text explaining the
change.  Remember to put an update to the NEWS file in your diff, if it makes
any changes visible to users or plugin developers.

Please indicate if you think the code is ready to merge, or if it's just
a draft or for discussion.

Anyone is welcome to review code.  There are broadly three gates for
code to get in:

 * Doesn't reduce test coverage: if it adds new methods or commands,
   there should be tests for them.  There is a good test framework
   and plenty of examples to crib from, but if you are having trouble
   working out how to test something feel free to post a draft patch
   and ask for help.

 * Doesn't reduce design clarity, such as by entangling objects
   we're trying to separate.  This is mostly something the more
   experienced reviewers need to help check.

 * Improves bugs, features, speed, or code simplicity.

Code that goes in should pass all three.

If you read a patch please reply and say so.  We can use a numeric scale
of -1, -0, +0, +1, meaning respectively "really don't want it in current
form", "somewhat uncomfortable", "ok with me", and "please put it in".
Anyone can "vote".   (It's not really voting, just a terse expression.)

If something gets say two +1 votes from core reviewers, and no
vetos, then it's OK to come in.  Any of the core developers can bring it
into their integration branch, which I'll merge regularly.  (If you do
so, please reply and say so.)

I think this will give people some feedback on their changes, prevent
"surprising" merges, and help guide things from drafts through to being
accepted.

--
Martin