weave branch --basis

Wouter van Heyst larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 29 16:54:15 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:50:20PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2005, Wouter van Heyst <larstiq at larstiq.dyndns.org> wrote:
> > I should really stop starting at code and go to sleep, but, annoyed at
> > the lack of --basis nowadays, I'm trying (badly) to resurrect it.
> >
> > As a first shot, I've changed bzrlib/clone.py to do:
> >
> >     branch_to = Branch.initialize(to_location)
> >     if basis_branch is not None:
> >         basis_branch.push_stores(branch_to)
> >
> > Which looks a bit like the code originally in
> > aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca-20050925050117-dc4b46505adfc0d7 (as seen on
> > http://goffredo-baroncelli.homelinux.net/bazaar/bazaar-NG?cmd=revision;revid=aaron.bentley@utoronto.ca-20050925050117-dc4b46505adfc0d7
> > thanks to Goffredo)
> >
> > And this has already sped up things, but this can hardly be right nor
> > complete, can it?
>
> It's probably a good start, and it should not take much more to get it
> working again.

According to Aaron, basis already works, just needs the note about it
not working being (re)moved. Robert also commented that it shouldn't be
hard, but I'm not sure what more he had in mind that needs doing.
Fwiw, I can use --basis and that does speed some cases up a bit, but
with trees like bzr.dev/integration/bzr.sftp, it's still very slow,
mostly cpu though.

Wouter van Heyst