(fwd) bzr shelve feedback

Brad Bollenbach brad.bollenbach at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:04:09 GMT 2005

Le 26-Nov-05 à 5:16 PM, Ivan Krstic a écrit :

> [Sorry, long.]
>
> Michael Ellerman wrote:
>> I'm pretty down on the idea of "undo" generally, because I'm not
>> convinced we
>> can actually make it do what users want:
>
> Well, we probably can, it's just not easy.
>
>> # bzr init
>> # bzr add file.txt
>> # echo "hello world" > file.txt
>> # bzr ci -m "Add file.txt"
>> # bzr rename file.txt different.txt
>> # echo "a year's work" >> different.txt
>> # echo "another year's work" >> different.txt
>> # bzr rename different.txt really_different.txt
>
> To continue your example, here's a purely prototypical UI:
>
> $ bzr actions
> -- Undo history ('bzr undo' undoes topmost action):
> 1 rename different.txt -> really_different.txt   4 minutes ago
> 2 modify different.txt                           6 minutes ago
> 3 rename file.txt -> different.txt               5 hours ago
> 4 commit revno. 1441                             Yesterday, 3:53 PM
> 5 add    file.txt                                Yesterday, 3:55 PM
>
> $ bzr undo -v
> bzr: undoing 'rename different.txt -> really_different.txt'
>      from 4 minutes ago
>
> $ bzr actions
> -- Undo history ('bzr undo' undoes topmost action):
> 1 modify different.txt                           7 minutes ago
> 2 rename file.txt -> different.txt               5 hours ago
> 3 commit revno. 1441                             Yesterday, 3:53 PM
> 4 add    file.txt                                Yesterday, 3:55 PM

[snip]

> Thoughts? Brad, would something like this make you and the LP guys
> happy?

This would be a landmark improvement in bzr usability, IMHO. It will
take a long, long time to implement that though, I imagine (yes, even
for the mighty who say "actually, it shouldn't be too hard." :) In
the meantime, continuing to have baz undo/redo work in bzr would be
nice, even if you choose a different name for it.

Cheers,

--
Brad Bollenbach