basic_io format merged

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Nov 26 00:09:35 GMT 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 24 Nov 2005, Aaron Bentley <aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> Martin Pool wrote:
>>> Nothing is converted to use it at the
>>> moment but I'd like to suggest we use it for changesets, revisions,
>>> inventories, and machine-readable output.
>> I like the annotated diff changesets.  Why do you want to use basic_io?
>
> I like them too.  All I meant to suggest is that this might be used for
> the header and footer annotations.

I might play with this.
It would be nice if it allowed for a custom prefix per line (since I am
writing everything after a # to make it obvious that it is a comment).
But I can always iterate over its output and do that myself.

I do prefer the looks of text without the double quotes.

If we left justify the keyword names, then we can use a leftmost space
to indicate that we are wrapping lines.
And having text starting on character 1 will terminate the text, rather
than a blank line.

Think of it like patch.

The only other thing we need to think about is how to handle text that
doesn't end in a newline.