plugin for vimdiff

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sat Nov 26 00:05:09 GMT 2005

Martin Pool wrote:
> I've written a small plugin for bzr that invokes vimdiff to highlight
> changes between your working copy and the previously committed version.
> These update as you edit in a rather addictive way.
>
> To install it run
>
>   bzr get http://people.ubuntu.com/~mbp/bzr-plugins/vimdiff \
>       ~/.bazaar/plugins/vimdiff

This is very cool. Thanks.

You might consider a couple changes.

1) Use "vim -df" and "gvim -df", I know on my Mac, gvimdiff isn't an
alias, because gvim is a separate install. I can always do the
workaround myself if I am an uncommon use case.
(on the other side, I do recommend using gvim instead of vim -g, because
on my other system, they are 2 separate programs, because if you compile
vim with gui, even if you don't use it, it still loads the X libs, which
take a while to timeout over a remote connection. Which sucks
considering one of the nice things about vim is that it loads almost
instantly)

2) Make the temp file readonly. That way it is obvious that you don't
want to save it in place, but can save it somewhere else.

3) Accept a --revision parameter. That way you can compare against
anything you want, and even compare against two old versions (by
supplying -r A..B). And because we even have the "branch:" prefix (at
least for now), it would let you compare against other branches.