(fwd) bzr shelve feedback

Alexey Shamrin shamrin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 14:21:23 GMT 2005

On 24/11/05, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
>     1. Why is it called bzr shelve? I'm human, I'm very familiar with
>     the idea of "undo/redo". "shelve", though it may align well to some
>     dictionarily precise definition, does not fit the goal my brain
>     formulates: I want to undo the changes I've made. Or I want to redo
>     what I undid. Period.

I don't like shelve/unshelve mainly because I didn't know this words
before I saw their use in bzr plugin and I had to look them up in the
dictionary (English is not my native language). It's good that I now
know them, but it seems to me they are not really common.

I also don't like undo/redo, because "undo" usually means that I made
a *mistake*, and I want to "undo" it. I feel that shelve/unshelve
often will be used as part of the usual workflow.

Alternatives:

$ bzr off
$ bzr on

$ bzr put-off
$ bzr put-on

$ bzr put off
$ bzr put on

$ bzr turn off
$ bzr turn on

$ bzr extract
$ bzr insert

>     4. "Shelve these changes, or restart? [yrsiq?] (y)"

Also I find "yrsiq" confusing. You can't ever pronounce it :-)

--
Alexey