merge vs pull (was What we did at UBZ)

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Tue Nov 22 20:09:57 GMT 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:12, Jan Hudec wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 08:57:43 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> > Erik Bågfors wrote:
> > > What I would like to be able to do instead is to keep my commit(s) in
> > > the tip (to speak hg talk).  So, say I branch and get revno 1..2000.
> > > Now I commit revno 2001.  Next time I pull you have done 10 more
> > > commits.  What I'd like to be able to do is make 2001..2010 be your
> > > revisions and my revision that was numbered 2001, will not be 2011.
> > > As long as there are no conflicts at least.  Basically, undo, pull,
> > > redo.
> >
> > Yeah, a lot of people would like this kind of patch-management foo.
>
> You mean something like Quilt, Stacked GIT or Mercurial Queues? Is anyone
> working to get shelves there?

I'd like to, but haven't got much time at the moment. Just in case someone's
keen, here's what I think shelves need:

Step is we need to have shelve interact with bzr at a lower level, ie. at the
moment the shelve code parses the output of bzr diff and operates on that. We
need a compare_trees() like generator that spits out Patch() objects
containing Hunks() or something like that.

A shelf should become a place where you can store either unsaved changes to
the working tree, and/or whole commits. This gets us the equivalent of a
quilt stack/hg queue.

There'll be a default shelf called "default", but you can create new shelves
and name them, and switch between them.

Instead of .bzr-shelf we'll need something more substantial, I was thinking:

.bzr/
     x-shelf/
             default/
                     00
                     01 ...
             named-shelf/ ...

I've been hoping to get onto this, but haven't had time of late owing to
_real_ work.

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
IBM OzLabs

email: michael:ellerman.id.au
inmsg: mpe:jabber.org
wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person