How to get the diff between two arbitrary remote revisions?

Jan Hudec bulb at ucw.cz
Thu Nov 17 22:14:20 GMT 2005

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 13:55:11 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Jan Hudec wrote:
> > Yes. It is what I mean. You can only commit on the designated 'current
> > revision' of a named branch, so if you want to commit to anything else, you
> > must give it a name first. Unlike in mercurial where you just update to it
> > and commit.
>
> That looks pretty alien to me.  I can't see why you'd want to commit
> against a hash fragment, rather than a branch name.

Because it does not have the name yet?

Basically say I have revision r in branch X, but not it's head, and I want to
try something against it. So I do bzr branch -r r X Y. But if I don't want to
copy over all the data, it's two steps for archive branch (branch and
checkout). Basically a use-case for the previous shared storage without
explicit names.

It's no big deal though. It's neither very common nor that harder.

> We've been trying our damndest to keep the revision ids out of the UI.

It's nice not to have to deal with them, but sometimes they come in handy.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb at ucw.cz>