[merge] robert, aaron, daniel

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Thu Nov 17 22:29:44 GMT 2005

John A Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

> Other than potentially changing .bzr into _bzr I think this is a nice
> layout. We certainly discussed many time what files go with what
> fundamental concept, and this would make it explicit.

I like it too. If you go for it, I suggest making _bzr the default
instead of .bzr/, because this hidden .bzr/ is _really_ confusing when
the branch doesn't have a working tree (at first glance, you see an
empty directory, both with apache listing directories and common file
managers).

Also, this would allow the working directory to refer to a revision
which is not the head. Currently, if I do a push to a branch which has
a working directory, with, say, a minor manual change, then after the
push, "bzr diff" in that branch will show the manual change, plus the
reverse of the patch that the push introduced, since the diff is done
against the head. In this situation, you have no easy way to recover
your manual change: commiting will revert the push, and revert will
also revert the manual change. If the working tree could say "my
reference is revid:XXXX in this branch", then we could imagine an
"update" command to update the working directory, keeping the manual
change intact.

--
Matthieu