What we did at UBZ

John A Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Nov 17 13:27:50 GMT 2005

Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> Erik Bågfors пишет:
>>> FWIW, I like _bzr.  It's enough to say "I'm special!";
>>> it's going overboard to make it hidden.
>>

>> This seams to be a common question over at the darcs mailinglist.
>>
>> Some people like that it's named _darcs, some people want it to be
>> renamed .darcs (I think it can be today?).  Some people do not want to
>> see it because it's something that you should never mess around with
>> while others don't like that you don't show that this directory is
>> handled by darcs.
>>
>> I can understand both ways.  Personally I prefer the .bzr thing.  I
>> don't want to have that in the way.  But it gets really strange when
>> you "bzr push" to a new repo (which is another thread... :) ) and you
>> get no working directory.   Then it looks like it just created a dir
>> and nothing in it.
>
> I'm also very happy with '.bzr'.
>
> May I insert my 2 pence? Another variant for naming can be: !bzr, name
> starting with exlamation mark. It's not simply "I'm special directory"
> declaration, it's definitely "I'm SPECIAL!!!" :-)
>
> Usage of `!` have very interesting effect: ascii code of `!` is 33,
> right after space, so directory with first `!` always be listed first,
> when sorted by alphabet. Code of `.` (dot) is 46, but underscore `_`
> have code 95 -- after numbers and uppercase letters [A-Z]. Latter fact
> is one reason why I think that `_` is bad choice. It may listed inside
> other working directory and may be hard to make distinction.
>
> Windows Explorer accept name starting with `!`, and on Linux too as I
> can see. So we easily avoid this weird dot problem.
>
> BTW, CVS make CVS directory and mark it as hidden on Windows. I think
> .bzr directory also should be marked as hidden for Windows. This helps
> to prevent accidentaly renaming by unexperienced users on Windows, as
> John say:
>
> "...if you ever accidentally rename it to something else, you can't
> rename it back with explorer. (I know cygwin works fine, and I believe
> cmd.exe will let you do it too)"
>

> Alexander

In most shells, ! is the "execute command" function. So doing:

$ bzr st
$ !!
Will rerun bzr st
Running
$ !bzr
Will rerun the last command that started with bzr.

So most likely doing:
$ cd !bzr
Would cause all sorts of strange things to happen.

I think our best bet is to allow a punning of .bzr with _bzr, and maybe
default branches without working trees to either use the _bzr form, or
maybe just create everything inside with an underscore.